Musings, Ideas, News..
And who knows what else?
WHY DO ARTISTS KEEP ASKING FOR E-MAIL SIGN UPS?
I know, it's annoying, but did you know it's one of the best ways to support independent artists?
Anyone old enough to remember MySpace knows that social media platforms can disappear as quickly as they came into our lives. Just yesterday I read an article on the upcoming iOS update - it's all about preparing for the post-facebook era, and as I read the article all the advice I'd been given about mailing lists came flooding back, and I realised how true it was.
As Artists we rely on the connection through social media channels to the people listening to our music, and if they were suddenly gone we would lose that connection. We would have no way of telling you about upcoming shows or releases, and then we'd all be pretty lost.
E-mail sign ups are the only contact information we own, so if we have that list any and all social media trends can come and go and we can stay in touch. It's free, takes about a minute, and most artists will not spam you with too frequent e-mails. Plus, you will often receive exclusive rewards such as un-released music, advance or discounted ticket sales or behind the scenes info you otherwise wouldn't get.
Signing up can also help Artists secure more shows, as festival organisers, promoters and other artists often ask what size of audience they are likely to bring to a show. If we can show them how many people are signed up to our e-mail lists in their area, we could have a better chance of securing a performance slot.
So next time you're at a gig, or scrolling through your favourite Artists websites, sign up for their newsletter and help us stay connected.
It's WIN WIN!
And if you're not signed up to my mailing list and would like to be, you can sign up here. ( I only send out quarterly updates (unless something super exciting happens) so NO SPAM)
Most of these are pretty new, as I spent the first half of the decade listening to theatre soundtracks and my 90's favourites - but hey!
I also decided about five songs in to stop writing out why I love these songs, as it was all sounding the same. The truth is, this list is made of music that makes me FEEL!! Wether it's the music, lyrics, story, vocal or even what memory it brings up, there is something in these songs that does what all good music should do. So I'm more than certain they need no explanation from me.
1. GIRL GOIN' NOWHERE - ASHLEY MCBRYDE
2. THE JOKE - BRANDI CARLILE
3. HUMBLE AND KIND - LORI MCKENNA
4. MY CHURCH - MAREN MORRIS
5. HOLD MY HAND - BRANDY CLARK
6. DIANE - CAM
7. GIRL CRUSH - LITTLE BIG TOWN
8. ALL I ASK - ADELE
9. IF SHE EVER LEAVES ME - THE HIGHWOMEN
10. WILL YOU LOVE ME THEN - JO DEE MESSINA
11. SPACE COWBOY - KACEY MUSGRAVES
12. PRIDE AND JOYY - BRANDI CARLILE
13. MAMAS BROKEN HEART - MIRANDA LAMBERT
14. DON'T PUT DIRT ON MY GRAVE JUST YET - NASHVILLE
15. FAT AND FAMOUS - ASHLEY MCBRYDE
16. SOMEBODYS DAUGHTER - TENILLE TOWNES
17. STRIPES - BRANDY CLARK
18. TIN MAN - MIRANDA LAMBERT
19. MORE OF YOU - CHRIS STAPLETON
20. PILOT - EMMA MOORE (Sorry, but I had to. It's the title track to my debut album, it means a lot!)